The research that resulted in PExA began in 2004 and was conducted by Anna-Carin Olin, Professor in the Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine at the University of Gothenburg’s Sahlgrenska Academy, which at the time examined workers exposed to various respiratory irritants and who went on to develop respiratory problems such as asthma and COPD.
Many workers developed work-related respiratory conditions, but the disease could not be identified using the examination methods available at the time. Some workers had increased levels of nitric oxide in exhaled air, which proved to be a marker of inflammation in the lungs in people with allergic asthma. However, it turned out that it was not a marker in people with any other type of asthma or COPD. It was on this basis that Anna-Carin Olin and her research team began working on looking for markers for different types of respiratory diseases.
Since its inception, around 35 Million SEK have been received in support from various research funds, such as the Heart and Lung Foundation, and through grants, loans and equity capital for commercial development. Nine prototypes (PExA 1.0) have been developed at the Sahlgrenska Academy and been used for research purposes within the academy and healthcare.
- PExA AB was listed on Spotlight Stock Market on November 2
- PExA 2.0 is tested and designed
- “First Conference on PExA and small airways disease” is organised
- PExA AB founded. GU Ventures, inventors and researchers acquire shares in the Company corresponding to previous shares in the project
- Former partnership with AstraZeneca extended
- Cooperation with XVIVO Perfusion
- PExA receive grants totaling 2 million from VINNOVA for development of PExA 2.0
- Cooperation begins with AstraZeneca
First doctoral thesis based on PExA method defended
- PExA is recognised as a project by GU Ventures AB incubator. Inventors and participating researchers receive partial ownership of projects in relation to their participation. GU Ventures AB supplements funding through successive equity capital.
The first patent application is filed
Research and development of PExA is funded with about SEK 30 million by Heart and Lung Foundation among others
Development of the PexA method begins
Board & Management
PExA's board and management include individuals with extensive experience and knowledge. Their task is to identify our targets and our strategy.Read More ››
The company’s business model is based on generating income from initial sales as well as from repeat sales.Read More ››
Business Concept and Vision
PExA’s business concept is to give lung researchers a new, unique and non-invasive method for the simple and reliable collection of potential...Read More ››